This season of giving is here! Don’t let shipping and supply chain delays take away from the joy of giving gifts. Supply chain demand issues have created a unique retail experience this year. Here are a few gift ideas to help you dodge the expected holiday gift delays:
Custom or Handmade Gifts
Thoughtful gifts are always a hit for people you share memories with. Creating something personal is a simple way to save and show those you love you care.
- Cozy Kits - Create a custom basket or kit perfect for those who love comfort and calm. The kit can include candles, a robe, blanket, pillows or a throw. Think of this gift as a warm hug that instantly brightens your day. Cozy Kits can be customized to fit the personality of those on your gift list.
- Favorite Foods - Have a foodie friend or family member? Give them the gift of their favorite treats and eats. A food themed basket is both thoughtful and affordable. If you have a friend or loved one with specific food favorites like chocolate, tacos, pasta, coffee or cheese, this can be a unique and highly customizable gift.
- Memorables and Keepsakes - If you have friends or relatives that collect specific items or share special memories with you, keep them in mind for handmade or upcycled gifts. You can start a new tradition and add to your family legacy by passing on heirlooms to next generations, gifting antiques, creating photo books or memory boxes.
With markups on retail items ranging from 50-500% normally and sometimes more, this year’s expected price increases and inflation add new reasons to shop smart. Quality gently used or resale items are becoming more and more appealing this season. If you’d like to save the extra 50-500% or more you pay in markups, here are a few gifts to shop like new on CTBIDS.com or at one of our local Estate Sales.
- Estate Jewelry - Diamonds, gems, gold, and silver are timeless when well taken care of. Purchasing gently used estate jewelry, fine or costume, can help you save and beat holiday delays. For example, a new Tiffany three-quarter karat ring would cost $4,880 retail on average while purchasing the item used could save you over $2,000 or more in most cases.
- Tools - Great tools are a necessity for anyone who loves gadgets, gear, or tinkering. Tools can certainly become expensive so shopping for hand tools, power tools, steel hand tools, or outdoor power equipment secondhand can help you snag a wishlist gift at a dream price.
- Kitchen Essentials - Shopping secondhand kitchen essentials allows you to gift useful like-new a second life. Since many essentials can be pricey purchased retail, receiving secondhand kitchen essentials as a gift saves the planet and your friend or loved ones budget. Great items to search for includes cast iron cookware, glassware, serving platters, and small appliances.
Experience and Hobby Gifts
Each of us has a unique passion or interest that gives us a getaway from stress and helps us enjoy life. Hobbies and experiences are a great way to give a thoughtful gift that caters to friends and loved ones well-being.
- Gifts for Imaginative Creatives - Creativity can help boost creative faculties and the ability to innovate. Creative gifts are experiential and perfect ways for people who thrive on creativity to try something new and fun. From dance lessons to concert tickets or glass blowing, the possibilities are endless.
- Gifts for Outdoorsy Thrill Seekers - If you have someone on your gift list that loves to commune with nature, they may enjoy gifts that allow them to share their love of the outdoors and thrills with guests. You can find secondhand items like camping or hiking gear or gift an experience like a cycling tour, day trip, or hiking adventure.
Local Subscriptions and Services
Shopping local services and subscriptions can help support your community while keeping your holiday gifting on schedule and delay free. Gifts in this category are a great way to show appreciation with thoughtful and practical gifts.
- Spa or Salon Packages - Local salons and spas are rebounding after the height of COVID-19. Spa and salon packages are a great way to show you care and gift relaxation at the end of a busy year. A gift certificate for a day of pampering services like a massage, manicure, facial or other relaxing spa offerings can help you show you care about the health and well-being of those you are close to.
- Food or Grocery Delivery Membership - If you have a busy mom or aging senior on your gift list food delivery services that bring ingredients for meals or the meal itself right to their door can be valuable. Local grocer’s and restaurants likely have packages perfect for people you care about.